BLG since 1877 – a continuing success story
With the new model BLG, Bremen boomed as a seaport and a trade city. As of 1888, therefore, BLG also took over the operation of the newly built port „Freihafen I“. This was closely followed by Freihafen II, the grain plant, the Freihafen ports in Bremerhaven in 1953, and in the 1960s, Neustädter Hafen was developed in Bremen.
The change from the sack barrow to the forklift truck in the 1950s changed dock work. Ro-ro ships were built for overseas traffic. Trailers were stowed in the port and tractors were used to roll them on board via the ship's own ramps. Soon, everything with wheels was rolling independently onto the ship.
Bremen as the first German container port
In the middle of the 1960s, the first containers came across the Atlantic to Europe. In May of 1966, Bremen became the first German container port. The containers needed special equipment and ample open spaces, so as a result, construction of the container terminal in Bremerhaven was started in 1968. There was enough free space at the river Weser estuary. To date, the terminal has grown to five kilometers in length and Bremerhaven is among the top 20 container ports in the world.
At the beginning of the 1970s, BLG saw the importance of data processing as a factor of production. The „Datenbank Bremische Häfen“ database was duly developed in 1973, and with it, the first port information system in the world. Cargo handling companies, forwarding agents, shipbrokers, tallymen, and administrative bodies followed. The foundations had been laid for IT networking.
Bremerhaven automobile hub
As the Japanese automobile industry started its export offensive at the end of the 1970s, BLG was in from the beginning and starting construction of the auto terminal in Bremerhaven. With more than two million vehicles per year, Bremerhaven is today one of the largest automobile hubs in the world.
In the 1980s, it became apparent that port cargo handling and warehousing were no longer economically sufficient. There was increasing competitive pressure and revenue was falling. To increase the added value, BLG extended the depth of its services, and so the logistics centers in Bremen and Bremerhaven were born.
The Eastern markets collapsed in the 1990s. With globalization, the revenue from transport services was again declining. Both of these developments hit BLG's core business. Thanks to restructuring with a global strategy in the middle of the 90s, however, BLG gathered new strength. The company is a seaport-oriented logistics service provider.
BLG LOGISTICS today
Today, the BLG Group has a presence in all the world‘s growth markets, with over 100 locations and offices in Europe, America, Africa and Asia. We offer our customers in industry and retail fully-integrated logistical system services. BLG’s AUTOMOBILE and CONTAINER Divisions are market leaders in Europe. The CONTRACT Division is among the leading German providers. Around 10,000 BLG employees assume responsibility each day for ensuring the smooth operation of logistics for high-quality products. Including all its shareholdings, BLG LOGISTICS currently has about 18,500 employees.